The 20.25 acre property on Little Antietam Creek was bequeathed to Samuel Merritt Hitt by Robert Smith on October 28, 1818. A two-story, two-section grist and sawmill was constructed about 1820 by Hitt, who diverted the established road so traffic would pass his mill. Brothers Samuel and Philip Pry purchased the mill in 1847. Samuel, the sole proprietor in 1850, rebuilt the structure in its present form. Jonathan Letterman selected the mill as one of seven Union hospital sites, and the building became a grisly haven for the wounded of Antietam. Although the war ruined his brother, Samuel prospered. The 1880 Manufacturing Census placed Pry Mill as one of the top five mills in Washington County. The mill remained in the Pry family until 1941, but ceased operations in 1926. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.