Chartered by acts of the General Assembly beginning March 8, 1741 with title vested successively in Joseph Murray · Theodore Gaillard · James Hunter, Trustee · Adam McDonald · Theodore Gourdin and William Staggers.
Upon the death of Staggers in 1863, the ferry was abandoned.
On his plantation near here is buried General Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox, the greatest of partisan leaders in the bitter struggle for independence in the Carolinas during the Revolution.
This crossing with the dense swamp was used by him most successfully in harassing and eluding the enemy.
After the fall of Charleston, the British established a guard here and on the night of August 23, 1780, General Marion, then Lieutenant Colonel of the Second South Carolina Continental Regiment, attacked and captured the post.