This church was founded soon after the Civil Warby 50 freedmen and woman who held their firstservices in a stable donated to them by S.A. Rigby.In 1869 the church trustees bought a half-acre lot for a school, and in 1870 they bought a one-acre lot for "the African Methodist Episcopal Church ofManning" on what is now Rigby Street, named for Rigby. The first church here, a frame building, wascompleted in 1874.
The congregation, first called simply "Our Church"by its members, was renamed Trinty A.M.E. Churchwhen its first building was completed in 1874. Thatbuilding was replaced by a larger frame church, which burned in 1895. The present church, also aframe building, was built that year and covered inbrick veneer in 1914. The Central S.C. Conferenceof the A.M.E. Church was organized here in 1921.