The English contingent in the village of Glen Rock was increased during the year 1848 by the arrival directly from England of Charles Heathcote, Mark Radcliffe, and George Shaw. As the yuletide season approached, on Christmas Eve 1848, Charles Heathcote, Mark Radcliffe, and George Shaw enlisted the help of Mark and James Heathcote. These five individuals went from house to house serenading the villagers of Glen Rock. The first four individuals named sang, while James played the bassoon.
It is most likely that the intent of these five men was to continue the English tradition to which they were accustomed, and that was the singing of carols outdoors as part of their observance of Christmas. Glen Rock was still a very small village in December 1848 with only seven families to serenade.
This carol singing tradition in Glen Rock has continued unbroken since 1848, as the carolers each year have, and will continue to, endure whatever the elements might have for them, including rain, snow, and bitter cold winds. Among the rewards for each caroler past and present, is the knowledge each singer had, or has, that he has helped to maintain for another year this long and worthy tradition, an inheritance exclusively ours.
This monument is dedicated to all those who have served as a caroler in the past, those who are serving at the present, and those who will step up to carry on this tradition in the future.
Monument dedicated in 2014 by Mr. and Mrs. Rodney L. Krebs and Family