In 1884, Nathaniel Z. Seitz built the 4 Hanover Street section of this building to serve as the new home for Glen Rock's newspaper, the Item, of which he was editor from 1871 to 1886. In 1892, Dr. George P. Yost, editor from 1886 to 1893, built the 6 Hanover Street section and moved the Item into the new section while operating his pharmacy from 4 Hanover Street."Keep 'em on the table"
In 1897 William O. Bixler began a business which developed into something which almost defies description in a few words. He rented the left side, put in a pool table, and promised his customers cigars, tobacco, and good order. Later, he offered confections, baseball items, magazines, newspapers, a soda fountain, peanuts and more. Bixler bought the building in 1910, and ran the business until 1935 when his son, Roye, took over.
After M. L. Kapp, editor from 1898 to 1932, relocated his newspaper / printing office in 1921, Bixler moved the billiard parlor from the left side into Kapp's space on the right and made an ice cream parlor where the billiard parlor had been.
Bixler's provided its visitors with good times and memories, from inside the store or from "Bixler's Bench", which came out in the spring and sat along the side of PeoplesBank. Bixler's closed in 1970, operating from this location for 73 years.