Charlotte was not only an important commercial port, but it was also a renowned recreational area. Three railroads and an electric trolley brought countless passengers to the lakeshore. People came from as far away as Pittsburgh and Oswego. Hotels along River Street catered to the river and boat trade, but many people preferred to stay at the lakeshore. Hotels sprang up where the river met the lake, from Marty McIntyre's 1850's driftwood establishment to the more ornate Spencer House, built in the 1870's by Captain John Burns. When the railroad extended its tracks to the present beach in the 1880's, a loop went right into Ontario Beach Park and visitors could stay at the luxurious Hotel Ontarion of the Bartholomay Hotel and cottages. Charlotte villagers could purchase a ticket that cost 2 cents, including the entrance fee to the grounds, but if they went in electric cars or walked, the admission ticket cost 10 cents. In this heyday of public transportation, Charlotte became known as the "Coney Island of Western New York." Daily attendance at the park would sometimes exceed 20,000 people. Amusements included a roller coaster, a carousel, high-wire and animal acts, band concerts, a variety of restaurants, a German pavilion and a Japanese garden. In the early 20th century, numerous attraction and hotel fires hastened the decline of the park, as did the advent of the automobile. Cars provided more freedom of movement and people began traveling to farther destinations. But the sights, sounds and activity of its waterfront have continued to make Charlotte a popular destination.