The building of boats has been an important industry throughout the history of the port. The first schooner built on the Genesee was named the Jemima, built in the 1790's at the place known as "Fall Town," King's Landing and Hanford Landing. Also on the west bank of the river was a large drydock, built by Captain H.N. Throop, where steamboats were serviced. Here in Charlotte, four schooners were built in 1856 and no less than three shipyards were listed in the 1860 directory. The lumber from Captain John Farnan's sawmill was used to build schooners and his 1860 shipyard site would become home to Miller Boat Works. William Miller started working for the Rochester Yacht Club in 1893. Later, he and his sons started Miller Boat Works, where they repaired boats and built luxury yachts. William and Anna Miller pose for this photo taken at Ontario Beach Park. Joseph and John Miller and H. Dwight Bliss III (center) side-tracking a Richardson power cruiser to winter storage at the Miller Boat Yard. Starting in 1884, Captain George Ruggles designed and built racing canoes that were world-renowned. Miller Boat Works. On the east bank of the Genesee, at Carthage, Captain John Trowbridge built a fleet of schooners and trained the Rogers Brothers to be ship captains and boat-builders. The elder brother built their boats at a site near today's Seneca Park. Hosea Rogers located his shipyard on the east bank, just north of this overlook. He built 14 vessels, naming 3 of them after each of his wives. North of Roger's site, Volney Lacy started the Rochester Boat Works around 1917. He built a variety of vessels, including a fleet of minesweepers for the United States Navy. Stroller IV was built by Volney Lacy. The photo shows the boat in front to the old terminal building.