Elmore CountyW. B. Doby served as the first President of the Elmore County Teachers Association, Principal of Elmore County Training School, and as an ordained minister in the A.M.E. Church. Local leaders dedicated this school for African-American students on Sunday April 7, 1963, and honored Mr. Doby's legacy by naming the school after him. Built on 19 acres previously owned by Alabama Power Company, the County purchased the property for $32,700 and constructed the school for $382,915. Montgomery, Alabama architect S.D. Collier and the firm of Stuart-McCorkle designed and built the school. The original one-story design contained breezeways connecting the central unit to two other units. The central unit had 28 regular classrooms, a Library, Main Office, and rooms for Science, Home Economics, and Health. The other units featured a cafetorium, and rooms for an Agricultural class, Shop, and Band. The school known as W. B. Doby High School existed from 1963-197O until the end of segregation in public schools. After 1970, the county renamed the school to Wetumpka Junior High School, now an integrated school, and then eventually to Wetumpka Elementary School.
|Placed By||Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, May 13th, 2016 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 573787 N 3601317|
|Decimal Degrees||32.54678333, -86.21411667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 32.807', W 86° 12.847'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 32' 48.42" N, 86° 12' 50.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 999-1035 Micanopy St, Wetumpka AL 36092, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.