The Historic National Road in Ohio
—Communications Center —Originally known as "Phone Town", this community along the National Road was once a major telecommunications center in America. In 1893, the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) selected this site as the location for a repeater station to boost transmission for the company's long distance lines between Pittsburgh and St. Louis. The first operations were located in the local Grange Hall. This soon proved to be too small, and AT&T built a three story structure to house telegraph and operator assisted station-to-station calls.
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Placed By||2011 by Bill and Trish Eccles|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, August 6th, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 744908 N 4420254|
|Decimal Degrees||39.89700000, -84.13538333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 53.82', W 84° 8.123'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 53' 49.2" N, 84° 8' 7.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4440 W National Rd, Tipp City OH 45371, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.