Jolliet and Marquette, journeying on the Father of the Waters, passed here June 16, 1673.
Here in 1690, Nicholas Perrot built his trading post.
Here in 1788, at the site of the City, incorporated in 1833, bearing his name, Julien Dubuque founded his home.
'Neath the shadow of his tomb mid craggy bluffs high in Indian lore where early commerce ferried the Mississsippi is built this Julien Dubuque bridge.
First conceived in a committee of Dubuque American Legion post No. 6.
This bridge is dedicated to those Americans fighting and dying on foreign soil to keep our land inviolate.