Vicksburg's first Garden Club was founded by Hester Craig Flowers in 1931 to "further the interest in home flower gardens and general beautification of the city."
By 1943, membership had grown to a point that the members were divided into twelve clubs with an overall council. Accomplishments included the establishment of the "Vicksburg Historical Tours" (now called Pilgrimage), beautification projects that added flowering trees, shrubs and garden areas throughout the city, educational programs to foster the love of gardening in the young, and the preservation of Planters Hall.
Built in 1834 as the Planters Bank, this Greek Revival building housed the bank and living quarters for its president until 1842, when the bank failed.
In 1956 the Vicksburg Council of Garden Clubs purchased the building and raised funds for its restoration. They furnished it with antiques and for the next 40 years used it as a tour home and garden club center.
Seated at the table in the mural are three members from the Vicksburg Garden Clubs who each became the president of the Garden Clubs of Mississippi. They are Hester Flowers, Fannie Peeples, and Clyde Everett.
Sponsored by the Garden Clubs of Vicksburg