When Frederick Town was laid out in 1745, founder Daniel Dulany provided lots to different faith denominations to build churches. These would serve as centers of religious, educational and social life for the new settlers in Maryland's colonial backcountry. Many of these same lots would also serve as the town's first burying grounds. Over the next 100 years, congregations grew in step with the town, necessitating church expansion and additional room for burials. Representatives from Frederick's leading churches came together and called for a new, community-owned, non-denominational, cemetery. This would be located on a large rolling parcel south of town, adjacent the Georgetown Turnpike.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, Mount Olivet would collect additional inhabitants as bodies were steadily, re-interred from existing church cemeteries into the dignified and tranquil setting of "Frederick's Other City."