The original building on the northwest corner of the Chautauqua Avenue and Summit Street intersection was one of the several small hotels that lined Chautauqua Avenue in the 1880s and 1890s. It operated under several names until the hotel business faded in the first decade of the twentieth century. Its first floor rooms were then used for a variety of purposes - Post Office, ice cream shop and Chautauqua Traction Station. In 1934 the structure was demolished and a more modest building housing a Red and White Grocery store occupied the space. After World War II until the late 1990s it served as the Lakewood Post Office and since the turn of the century has hosted commercial enterprises. Looking North to Lake. The tall building in the left foreground, originally the Holbrook Hotel, c.1889, remains from the resort era. The open balconies with ornamental railing reflect the typical architecture of the period. For most of the twentieth century the ground floor had been occupied by small businesses with apartments on the upper floors. The large tudor-style structure, c. 1905, at the end of the street was the summer home of Paul Sorg, an American Tobacco millionaire. It was (1920-1970) a tearoom and gift shop. The Lakewood Country Club at the end of the street, built in 1905 on the site of the Sterlingworth Hotel, was a private
club and a public restaurant in the 1902s. Demolished in 1930s when public beach area was created.