1010 W. Washington StreetIn 1903, Boise High School opened to students in an elaborate, red brick Victorian building. As the city grew, more space was needed and a new building was designed by the firm of Tourtellotte and Hummel. In order to minimize disruption to students, it was built in phases. The first wing was added to the east in 1908 and the west wing was added in 1912. An Industrial Arts building was added in 1919 and stood where the Frank Church Building of Technology is today. Two years later, the original red brick building in the middle was replaced. The new neoclassic-style school has a portico supported by ionic columns and a relief bust of Pluto in the tympanum. A new Art Deco-style gym was added in 1936, paid for in part with coins collected by students during the great depression. Despite suggestions to close the school in the 1990s, Boise High was remodeled in 1998, modernizing the interior for the Information age. The historic exterior remains today. Boise High is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, December 11th, 2017 at 4:03pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11T E 564354 N 4830081|
|Decimal Degrees||43.62093333, -116.20238333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 37.256', W 116° 12.143'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 37' 15.36" N, 116° 12' 8.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1010 W Washington St, Boise ID 83702, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.