The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee

The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee (HM24HO)

Location: Oak Ridge, TN 37830 Anderson County
Buy Tennessee State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 36° 0.742', W 84° 15.479'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 73 views
Inscription

Transformation of Education and Health

At the same time the Government was starting large construction programs in 1948 to build permanent housing, work started to replace the hurriedly built wartime schools. The first permanent school finished was Willowbrook Elementary in September 1949. Next to be finished was Woodland Elementary in the fall of 1950, but so many people moved into Woodland that an addition was required, finished in 1953. The most costly of all school additions ($2.9 million) was the new High School, located west of its original Jackson Square home to better serve the center of the future City. Jefferson Junior high moved in to the old high School above Jackson Square. Major new additions and renovations were made to Robertsville Junior High by 1954. Those four new schools represented a $6 million investment in providing for the future outstanding school system. Providing for the City's future health care was another major concern. In April 1949, just a month after the City's gates were opened, the government turned the management of the Hospital over to a not-for-profit Oak Ridge Hospital, Inc., and then, to help fight deficits, changed the rules to allow them to accept patients from the surrounding counties. Midway through the next decade the Hospital Board argued that the wartime, wooden, sprawling facility had to be replaced, and Congress appropriated



money for a new 175-bed facility. The issue then became to whom this fine new hospital should be given: to the new City, to those who had been running it, or to a new suitor, the Methodist Church. A spirited referendum saw the vote almost evenly divided, so a second was held and the Methodist Church won. Although they took over management in March 1959, both the Hospital and the Schools reported to the Atomic Energy Commission until all property transfers to the new City were finally executed in June 1960.

This third marker was produced, in part, with funding from the City of Oak Ridge and the Preserve American Grant Program, National Park Service.
Details
HM NumberHM24HO
Tags
Placed ByThe City of Oak Ridge and The National Park Service
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 at 7:01am PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 747122 N 3988798
Decimal Degrees36.01236667, -84.25798333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 36° 0.742', W 84° 15.479'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds36° 0' 44.52" N, 84° 15' 28.74" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)615, 865
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 200 S Tulane Ave, Oak Ridge TN 37830, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?