The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee

The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee (HM24HP)

Location: Oak Ridge, TN 37830 Anderson County
Buy Tennessee State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 36° 0.744', W 84° 15.479'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 69 views
Inscription

Transformation of the Housing

What most branded Oak Ridge as a temporary wartime community was its housing, almost half of which was added in a great rush during 1944-1945 as the town grew to five times the originally planned population of 13,000. Many thousands of the later housing units were prefabricated "flattops", trailers, and Hutments. Soon after the war, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) went to work to transform the "Secret City" by replacing those temporary units with permanent homes. The AEC constructed the new Woodland community with 820 housing units, the Garden Apartments with 450 units, and 280 duplexes and dormitories at Gamble Valley. Next, 350 Brick Apartments and 100 row houses were built as a buffer between Woodland and the new town center shopping mall. Some 1,200 temporary dwelling units were renovated and upgraded to last 20 or more years. Despite the welcomed improvements, a 1953 vote on incorporation was heavily defeated, but the AEC was undeterred. The remaining flattops were rehabilitated, adding gable roofs and skirts around their foundations. In East Village 500 new houses replaced all the flattops there, and 400 ranch homes were built in West Village. When Congress passed the Atomic Energy Commission Act of 1955, major programs to upgrade and maintain homes that had been underway since 1948 were halted. Sales



of properties began in 1956, and when tenants were offered the chance to buy their rental homes at a discount, they quickly agreed. By June 1958, all but three of Oak Ridge's 3,526 single-family units had been sold along with 1,280 other properties. The inventory of housing when the AEC took over in 1947 was 9,777 units. By 1960, 5,200 of them remained plus 8,442 new additions, totaling 13,642. The AEC had spent $295 million (in 2010 dollars) to build housing to create a community with a future.

This second marker was produced, in part, with funding from the City of Oak Ridge and the Preserve American Grant Program, National Park Service.
Details
HM NumberHM24HP
Tags
Placed ByThe City of Oak Ridge and The National Park Service
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, January 10th, 2018 at 7:01am PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 747122 N 3988802
Decimal Degrees36.01240000, -84.25798333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 36° 0.744', W 84° 15.479'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds36° 0' 44.64" N, 84° 15' 28.74" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)615, 865
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 200 S Tulane Ave, Oak Ridge TN 37830, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?