Sacramento's first post office was located on this lot in 1849. In 1853, Henry E. Robinson bought the lot from Samuel Brannan and built this three story brick building, naming it the Jones Hotel. The Sacramento Pioneer Association first organized in this building in 1854. In 1855, it became a boarding house called the Vernon House, owned by Miss O. J. Clark. In 1865, Samuel Brannan bought the building, turned it back into a hotel, and renamed it Brannan House. This building was lifted approximately nine feet in 1865.
State Registered Historical Landmark No. 604
Memorial sponsored by the Estate of Bobbie Jo Castleman, 1926-2013 in cooperation with California State Parks