This statue commemorates the glory of The Pony Express, which started here at 2:46a.m. on April 4,1860, when Sam Hamilton galloped into a blinding rainstorm on the first lap of the 1,966 mile trip to St. Joseph, Missouri. During its 18-month existence, its riders and 500 ponies carried 35,000 pieces of mail with the loss of but one pouch. This venture, founded by Russell, Majors and Waddell, ended California's isolation from the rest of the Union.Thomas Roland, Sculptor
This memorial was made possible by a gift from the estate of Sophie Pleasants Comstock, funds from the City and County of Sacramento, the State Park System, and the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of California and contributions from a host of private donors. It was dedicated on June 4, 1976, by the Sophie Comstock Memorial Committee, Mrs. Anthony J. Kennedy, Chairman.