An original headframe from the Combination Mine, on the Combination No. 1 claim, located by Alva D. Myers and R.C. Earl on May 26, 1903. In 1989 it was moved to this location from approximately 1/4 mile mile east, in the Goldfield Mining District, by the Red Rock Mining Co.
Gold was discovered approximately two miles north by Harry Stimler and William Marsh in December of 1902. This created much excitement and a rush to stake the first claims was on. In the summer of 1903 interest in the Grandpa District (later renamed Goldfield) was waning. However, some of the original prospectors and investors refused to give up, including Alva D. Myers. Subsequently, in the fall of the year, this discovery at the Combination paid off and became on the the richest ore discoveries in the District.
The recorded production of gold from the Goldfield District for the period 1903-1960 was nearly 4.2 million ounces from about 7.7 million tons of ore. At least 98% of this was from a belt less than a mile long and a few hundred feet wide, which included the Combination claims.