This three-story wood frame building was the first hotel in Coronado, opened July 28, 1887, at First Street and Orange Avenue. In 1911 it was moved to Ynez Place, close to the Hotel del Coronado where it served as a dormitory for employees of its glamorous neighbor.
After the Oxford's colorful association with the Hotel del ended, the building, then a boarding house, fell into severe disrepair. In 1983 Hotel del Coronado owners Jeanne and Larry Lawrence, committed to the preservation of Coronado history, rescued the Oxford from scheduled demolition. Fittingly relocated to the grounds of the historic Hotel Del, the building has been completely renovated and lovingly restored to its original Greek Revival style. The Oxford was reopened on its 100th birthday in 1987, and now serves as administrative offices for the Hotel del Coronado.
The Coronado Historical Association expresses its deep appreciation to Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence and the Hotel del Coronado for their dedication and sense of history and to Chris Ackerman for his vision. Tucker, Sadler & Associates, Architects, and the Dunphy Construction Company are also particularly recognized for their efforts. In meeting the design and construction challenges associated with segmenting, moving, resetting and engineering this old building for contemporary use, the Oxford family has
earned a place in the annals of historical preservation.