Quarters 2 allegedly sits on the spot of British Colonel John Stanwix's headquarters that he established in 1757. Stanwix's camp of regular and provincial troops was the predecessor to Carlisle Barracks. During the Civil War, Confederates occupied the post, which was the site of Confederate General Richard Ewell's headquarters prior to Gettysburg. Before moving on to Gettysburg, Confederate cavalry commanded by Major General James Ewell Brown ("Jeb") Stuart set fire to the base. Many of the buildings did not survive, including the Commandant's quarters on this spot. Within a year the structure was rebuilt.
When the Carlisle Indian Industrial School arrived in 1879, founder and Superintendent Richard Henry Pratt moved into the quarters with his family. In 1913, while home to a succeeding superintendent, the building was renovated, and the large columns were added. After the Indian School was closed in 1918, it became commanding officer's quarters again. When the Army War College arrived, the Commandant lived in the building. It later became Quarters 2, resident of the Deputy Commandant.
Donated by COL Bobby Towery, AWC Class of 2006; Chief of Staff, 2008-2009; Deputy Commandant, 2009-2013; Lisa, Patrick, Nathan and Princess
Eagle Scout Project by Timothy Loney, Troop 173
The marker is visible at the far left.
assistance from Jessica Sheets and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
Photographs from USAMHI, Personality Collection and Carlisle Barracks Collection