La maison du bedeau / The Sexton's House

La maison du bedeau / The Sexton's House (HM2DRF)

Location: Sainte-Flavie, Québec G0J 2L0 La Mitis
Country: Canada
Buy Canada flags at Flagstore.com!

N 48° 36.66', W 68° 13.813'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 155 views
Inscription

Sainte-Flavie, “Porte de la Gaspésie"

 

Une maison du XIXe siècle
Cette petite maison québécoise a été construite à l'été 1849. Ce style architectural apparaît dans la région au début du XIXe siècle. Selon l'historien Michel Lessard, il résuite d'une évolution de la maison française importée par les premiers colons.
Comme beaucoup de maisons de colonisation de l'époque, elle possède un solage de pierre des champs et est construite en pièce sur pièce. À l'origine, les murs et la toiture sont recouverts de bardeau de cèdre. C'est le bois qui prédomine dans cette maison québécoise. Ce matériau, abondant dans toutes les régions du Québec, est en effet plus apte que la pierre à protéger les habitants de la maison contre les rudes froids d'hiver.
Au fil du temps, cette construction connaît plusieurs usages. D'abord maison d'habitant, elle devient ensuite la première école du village. En 1913, sa vocation change une nouvelle fois. Étant donné sa proximité avec l'église, le premier étage de la maison devient la résidence du bedeau tandis que l'étage supérieur sert dorénavant de salle paroissiale. On utilise cette dernière tant



pour des réunions de paroissiens que pour celles du conseil municipal, des commissaires d'école et du cercle d'agriculture. La pièce devient aussi un lieu de culture et de divertissement puisqu'on y tient parfois des pièces de théâtre. Depuis 1951, cette belle québécoise a entièrement retrouvé sa vocation première, c'est-à-dire celle de résidence privée.

[Légendes photo, de haut en bas, lisez]
· La maison du bedeau
Située au cœur du village, la résidence du bedeau se trouvait à proximité des principales instutitions de l'époque dont l'église et le presbytère. Sur la photographie, nous observons que le bedeau était voisin de la vieille auberge et du magasin général ! 1932
· La famille grandit !
Assis confortablement dans les plates-bandes de maman, les enfants du couple Beaulieu posent pour la caméra.
· Un couple heureux !
Monsieur et madame Beaulieu posent fièrement avec leur premier enfant devant la maison qu'ils occupent depuis plusieurs mois déjà ! Vers 1951.

[English translation]

A 19th century house
This small Quebec house was built in the summer of 1849. This architectural style first appeared in the region in the early nineteenth century. According to historian Michel Lessard, it resulted from an evolution of the French house style imported by the first settlers.
Like many colonization houses of the time, it has a fieldstone foundation and was built room on room. The walls and roof were originally covered with cedar shingles, the predominant wood for this Quebec house. Cedar, abundant in all regions of Quebec, is indeed more suitable than stone to protect the residents against the harsh cold winter.
This structure had several uses over time. First a residence, it then became the first school in the village. In 1913, its vocation changed again. Due to its proximity to the church, the first floor became the sexton's residence, while the upper floor was used as a parish hall. The latter was used for parishioner meetings as well as for those of the municipal council, school commissioners and the agriculture circle. The space also became a place of culture and entertainment, where plays were sometimes held. Since 1951, this beautiful Quebecois structure has completely regained its original vocation, that is to say, that of a private residence.

[Photo captions, from top to bottom, read]
· The Sexton's House
Located in the heart of the village, the sexton's residence was close to the main institutions of the era, including the church and the rectory. In the photograph, note that the sexton was also near the old inn and the general store! 1932
· The family is growing!
Sitting comfortably in mom's flowerbeds, the Beaulieu children pose for the camera.
· A happy couple!
Mr. and Mrs. Beaulieu proudly pose with their first child in front of the house they have already been living in for several months! Around 1951.
Details
HM NumberHM2DRF
Tags
Placed ByMunicipalité de Sainte-Flavie
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019 at 1:01pm PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)19U E 556740 N 5384499
Decimal Degrees48.61100000, -68.23021667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 48° 36.66', W 68° 13.813'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds48° 36' 39.6" N, 68° 13' 48.78" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 500 QC-132, Sainte-Flavie Québec G0J 2L0, CA
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?