For over a century, the "Swinging Bridge," a cast iron suspension bridge with wobbly wood planking, made crossing Carroll Creek a memorable affair. Originally located downstream at Bentz Street, it was reassembled here in 1929 along the newly constructed Carroll Parkway, allowing passage from Jefferson Street to the Municipal Pool in Baker Park. In 2002, the deteriorated span was closed to the public. City work crews began reconstruction in 2011 to meet current standards. Modern materials and techniques created a more stable but very less bouncy walking surface to the beloved, but no longer swinging, bridge. It was reopened in 2012.