When the town of Grand Lake was platted in 1881, Grand Avenue was designed to be 100 feet wide. Although traffic congestion was not a problem, extra space was allowed for rodeos and horse races. Grand Lake Area Historical SocietyPartial funding provided by a State Historic Fund grant from the Colorado Historical Society
The Public Square was often used for community fish fries, and once a bear was roasted here. Buffalo Barbecue, held annually in mid-summer, has continued the spirit of community participation since the 1940s.
Community House was built in 1922 with donated money and labor. It has been used for public functions, minstrel shows, holiday celebrations, social affairs, club meetings, a motion picture theater and stage productions. It continues to be used as our town hall, theater and community center.
The building across Pitkin Street to the east was the County Courthouse and Jail for Grand County from 1881-1888. The County Seat returned to Hot Sulphur Springs in the fall of 1888. The courthouse building has since been used as a saloon, restaurant, market, icehouse and motel.