General Simon Bolivar Buckner occupied Bowling Green September 18, 1861.
General Albert Sidney Johnston, Commander Confederate Army of the West, move headquarters to Bowling Green October 28, 1861. He began the erection of this fort.
General Johnston evacuated Bowling Green February 14, 1862, and started for Nashville. This ended Confederate control here.
General Ormsby M. Mitchell of the Union Army occupied Bowling Green February 15, 1862.
Colonel Benjamin Harrison, later President, was one among the Union officers in command here.
Union forces held the fort to the end of the war.