1792 - 1805The first organization devoted to the improvement of agriculture in Ontario was founded at Niagara. Its original name, the Agricultural Society of Upper Canada, reflected Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe's hope that it would become a province-wide organization. Its members, mostly merchants, politicians, clergymen and gentlemen farmers, met regularly for dinner and discussion. They imported new variety of fruit trees to the Niagara peninsula in 1794 and sponsored the province's first agricultural fair in Queenston in 1799. The society folded in 1805 and left its collection of reference books to the Niagara Library. Although the society was short-lived, its scientific approach to farming anticipated the work of regional agricultural societies run by farmers after 1820.
|Placed By||Ontario Heritage Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 22nd, 2019 at 8:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 656615 N 4790934|
|Decimal Degrees||43.25495000, -79.07056667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 15.297', W 79° 4.234'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 15' 17.82" N, 79° 4' 14.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.