The town of Franklin was developed in 1799 by Abram Maury, who acquired the land from Major Anthony Sharpe. The original town, consisting of 109 acres, was composed of sixteen blocks divided into 188 lots centered on a 2-acre public square. The public square was donated to the county, upon which the first two courthouses were built. The historic district, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, is outlined by Margin streets on the north and south and include First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth avenues running north and south, and Church, Main, and Bridge streets running east and west. Over 300 commercial and residential buildings lie within the district. Franklin received its town charter in 1815.
Williamson County Historical Society, 2015
In memory of Janice Hughes Swartz, "The Cellar on Main Street"
Donated by Avalyn Berry Swain
Reverse: Original Plat of Franklin By Abram Maury