U.S. Model 1841 6-Pounder Field Guns
In 1908, the U.S. War Dept. loaned the four bronze gun tubes on the Square to Franklin. The N.P. Ames Co. and Cyrus Alger & Co. in Mass. cast the guns between 1847 and 1861. These guns were among the last to display the decorative features found on early artillery pieces. Widely used during the Mexican War, they were considered obsolete by the onset of the Civil War. Effective range was 1,5000 yards. Usually smoothbore, these four guns were rifled at some point during their service. Each gun tube, weighing 8884 lbs., was mounted on a No. 1 Field Carriage that requires a six-horse team. In 2014, the cannons were transferred from concrete stands to replica gun carriages using grants from the Tennessee Historical Commission, Tennessee Wars Commission, the City of Franklin and donations from civic organizations, local businesses and citizens.
Franklin Battlefield Preservation Committee 2017
Franklin Public Square During The Battle
At dawn on November 30, 1864, the Federal army under Maj Gen John M Schofield began streaming into Franklin after marching from Spring Hill in pitch darkness. The wagon bridges over the Harpeth River were out. Schofield ordered the intact railroad bridge planked over and temporary bridges built.
All morning long, the Federal train of an estimated 800 wagons and 3,500 draft animals were coming into Franklin and jamming this Square, every side street, alley and woodlot. By noon, just as the last Federal wagon came past the Carter House, the bridges were ready and the wagon train began untangling itself. As the Confederate Army, commanded by Lt Gen John B Hood, began their assault at 4:00 PM, the entire Federal wagon train was safely across the river and the Federal army was waiting for dankness to conceal their planned retreat to Nashville.