On January 9, 1873 the U.S. government set aside land for the present reservation. This encompassed all of the tributary area of the south fork of the Tule River down to a north-south line four miles below the Soda Springs on the Tule River. For 18 years the original reservation had been on what was called the Madden Farm located 2 miles east of Porterville, an area now known as Alta Vista. Here the Tule River Indians had built headquarters building, homes and had learned to farm the land, but in 1873 they were told to move to this remote less desirable place. They protested but were forced by soldiers to this new location. Being the resourceful survivors they are over the years they built the reservation into the success it is today. Now they have their own preschool, health clinic, justice building, fire, police, and maintenance departments, land and timber management, and a casino. The Tule River tribe is a proud sovereign nation that strives to improve the livelihood of its members and the surrounding communities.