A Road to Rippon Lodge
Rippon Lodge Historic Site on Blackburn road has a long association with The King's Highway. A segment of the road cut directly through the property when the Blackburn family lived there during the 18th century. The family depended on access to the road for mail delivery. The Blackburns owned horses and carriages for the family's use and traveled the King's Highway for business and pleasure. The road connected urban centers such as Boston, Philadelphia, Alexandria, Dumfries, Richmond and Williamsburg.
Judge Wade Hampton Ellis (born 1865) owned Rippon Lodge from 1924 until he died in 1948. He took a strong interest in preserving the 18th-century King's Highway. Judge Ellis worked with the Daughters of the American Revolution to install a commemorative plaque in 1933. A newspaper notice* for the plaque unveiling described the road:
?the old King's Highway which runs two miles through the grounds of Rippon Lodge?This highway, the oldest post road in northern Virginia, used to run from Mount Vernon to Richmond?
*The Washington Post, May 23, 1933