Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois.In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens raised $2,700 toward the construction of this building.Among those attending Court here were Abraham Lincoln, Stephen Douglas, Lyman Trumbull, and David Davis.In 1853 the county seat was moved by legislation to Lincoln. The Mt. Pulaski Court House was then used as a schoolhouse, later as the City Hall, and finally as the Post Office. The State of Illinois acquired the building in 1936.
Comments 0 comments