Original Building at Ohio Wesleyan UniversityBuilt in 1833 as a health resort named the Mansion House Hotel, Elliott Hall is noted as Ohio's oldest collegiate Greek Revival building. The closure of the Bank of the United States and an economic panic in 1837 created nation-wide financial difficulties, which led to the decline of the luxury resort. Under the leadership of Reverend Adam Poe, minister of William Street Methodist Church, the citizens of Delaware purchased the building for the establishment of a Methodist college for men. Ohio Wesleyan University was chartered on March 7, 1842, and the founding building was named for Dr. Charles Elliott, Ohio Conference leader who helped examine the site and establish the university. In 1877, Ohio Wesleyan University and the Ohio Wesleyan Female College merged into a co-educational institution. Elliott Hall was moved to its present location in 1892 when University Hall was built.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Ohio Wesleyan University, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 26th, 2014 at 12:37pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 324384 N 4462657|
|Decimal Degrees||40.29598333, -83.06623333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 17.759', W 83° 3.974'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 17' 45.54" N, 83° 3' 58.44" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||614, 740|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 62-64 S Henry St, Delaware OH 43015, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.