Formerly Southern Railroad Depot SiteThe parking lot adjacent to this building is the site where the Southern Railroad Depot was located for many years. When the railroad arrived in Edgefield in 1888, the depot was located a quarter mile south of here, but that depot was struck by lightening and burned in 1903. Later that year the rail line was extended to Main street and a new depot building was constructed where the parking lot now lies. This passenger and freight depot was the principle link of the Town of Edgefield to the outside world by rail for more than half a century. As highway transportation grew in popularity, the depot was abandoned in the mid 1960's and was torn down in 1975. In 1998 the site was acquired by the Town of Edgefield and developed into a municipal parking lot for the students and faculty of Piedmont technical College, as well as to serve the terminus of the Ten Governors' Walking Trail.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 3:24am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 414339 N 3739040|
|Decimal Degrees||33.78805000, -81.92528333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 47.283', W 81° 55.517'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 47' 16.98" N, 81° 55' 31.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 404-480 Kendall Dr, Edgefield SC 29824, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.