Witness to Edgefield's Social and Political HistoryOakley Park was built in 1835 by a prosperous Edgefield planter, Daniel Bird. In 1841, Bird's son was tragically killed in a shoot-out in front of the Edgefield County Courthouse. Suffering great sorrow at his loss, Bird sold his home and left town to rebuild his life in Florida. In 1874, Oakley Park was purchased by a renowned Civil War military leader, Major General Martin Witherspoon Gary. The property remained in the Gary family until 1941 when it was deeded over to the Edgefield Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in whose care and keeping it remains to this day.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 414673 N 3739007|
|Decimal Degrees||33.78778333, -81.92166667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 47.267', W 81° 55.3'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 47' 16.02" N, 81° 55' 18.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 515-699 Augusta Hwy, Edgefield SC 29824, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.