Created by an Act of February 18, 1854 out of Camden County, Charlton County was named for Judge Robert M. Charlton of Savannah. Trader`s Hill (Fort Alert), an important shipping point and head of navigation on St. Marys River, was the first County Site. In 1901, Folkston became the County Site after the Savannah, Florida & Western RR was in operation. The first County Officers, elected in April, 1854, were: Daniel R. Dedge, Sheriff; J.H. Oliver, Clerk of both Courts; Francis M. Smith, Ordinary; John E. Gibson, Tax Receiver; J.H. Bessant, Surveyor; James S. Bennett, Coroner; Louis N.G. Strickland, soon replaced by H. Roddenberry, Tax Collector.