The antique bricks that were used on the fa?ade of this building were originally used to build the "Dougalss - Hines" Building.
The "Douglass - Hines" Building stood where the Fountain Plaza now stands at 312 Main Street.
After the disastrous fire in July of 1856, the merchants on Main Street decided to rebuild with fireproof materials. Many of the Main Street buildings were constructed of brick and stone with a layer of sand between the ceiling and roof and iron door shutters.
Joseph Douglass and H.L. Hines, both prominent business men of the day, completed their building in November of 1856. It was forty feet on Main Street and fifty feet deep, having a common brick wall in the center,
From 1856 until 1882 the building was in constant use and housed many successful businesses.
Torn down in 1982 to make way for the fountain plaza, the bricks from the building were saved and in 1998 were generously donated to the City of Placerville, by Doug, Peggy, Mike and Susanne Milton.
The iron door on the building is an excellent example of the iron doors used during the Gold Rush period.