The Spanish established severalmissions along Georgia's coastal seaislands. Two missions were located onSt. Simons Island, called " Isla De Guadalquini" by the Spanish: SantoDomingo de Asajo (Guale) and SanBuenaventura de Guadalquini (Mocama).San Simon and Ocotonico were Yamaseevillages that did not convert to Christianity.The demise of these missions and villagescan be attributed to susequent raids by theChichimeco Indians ( from the interior ofGeorgia ) and later, pirates in 1684.
In later years after th Spanish abandonedtheir missions, the English established thetown and fort of Frederica to the north andFort St. Simons near the lighthouse. Ft. St.Simons was built too close to the water and was eventually destroyed by erosion.
San Buenaventura De Guadalquini (through 1684)was located on the southern tip of St. SimonsIsland on or near the present lighthouse site.The mission was occupied by Mocama Indians(87), not the Gaule as previouslythought by historians.
Santa Domingo De Asajo (1661 - 1684)located between Cannon's and Hampton Points,replaced the destroyed and abandoned missionSanto Domingo De Talaje at the mouth of theAltamaha River in 1681. The mission had an adultpopulation of 39 and was the southern mostpenetration of the Guale Indians.
San Simon (through 1684) This was aYamassee Indian Village of 40 adults in 1675 and 17 adults in 1681. The inhabitants were also known as Clones. Located near present-day Fort Frederica, many of San Simons Yamasee sided with the English in their battle with Spain over the "Disputed Land" of Coastal Georgia. This village was likely the source for the English renaming of the island.
Ocotonio (through 1684) The exact location is unknown, but was probably south of San Simon and north of San Buenaventura De Guadalquini. It had 120 residents in 1675, the largest group ofunconverted Indians at the time on the GeorgiaCoast.