Sand Town (Oktahatalofa) and Buzzard Roost (Sulecauga) were two frontier Creek Indian communities here on the Chattahoochee River. The old Sand Town Trail extended westward to the Coosa River in Alabama and eastward into what is now DeKalb County.
The land which is contained in this 14th L.L. District was ceded by the Creek Indians to Georgia in 1821 and was part of originally Fayette (1821-1828), then Campbell (1828-1931), and now Fulton County. On September 2, 1828, a U.S. Post Office was established at this focal point on the old stage route. Joseph H. Coryell was the first settler who on May 1, 1834, purchased the land which was to become Sandtown Plantation.
During the War Between the States this area was defended by the Confederate Cavalry [CS] of Jackson Division. On August 15, 1864, Kilpatrick Cavalry ofthe Federal Army of the Cumberland [US] captured Sandtown and used it as a base for subsequent raids. General Sherman ordered a bridge built across theriver at this point and maintained Sandtown as a communications base in the swinging of his Union forces around this S.W. quadrant of Hood defenses tostrike at Jonesboro.
Comments 0 comments