25 April 1781
— Artillery Position —On 25 Apr. 1781, Maj. Gen. Friedrich von Steuben's 1,000 Virginia militiamen, driven from the eastern edge of Blandford, established a strong defensive line along the western summit (now Madison Street) above Lieutenant Run valley. Maj. Gen. William Phillips's British force occupied this ridge from here to the Appomattox River. After several unsuccessful infantry attacks, Phillips placed four artillery pieces here and fired on the American line. Facing this threat, and with American ammunition running low, von Steuben decided that any further defense of Petersburg would be futile and ordered a general retreat toward the Pocahontas Bridge to the north.
|Marker Number||QA 20|
|Placed By||Department of Historic Resources|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 10:45pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 287665 N 4123082|
|Decimal Degrees||37.23010000, -77.39346667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 13.806', W 77° 23.608'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 13' 48.36" N, 77° 23' 36.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||804, 434, 757|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 501-599 US-460 BUS, Petersburg VA 23803, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.