The Battle of Lewis FarmGeneral Grant wanted to force his way around the Confederate right flank and cut the last remaining supply lines into Petersburg. The offensive began on March 29, 1865. Union Major General Philip H. Sheridan's cavalry moved towards Dinwiddie Court House, about five miles southwest of here, to lure the Confederates out of their defensive works and to cut one of the Confederate army's main supply lines: the South Side Railroad. At the same time an infantry corps under Major General Gouverneur K. Warren and Major General Andrew A. Humphreys was ordered to the Boydton Plank Road. From there the corps was to advance towards this point and prevent Confederate reinforcements from reaching Dinwiddie Court House by keeping them occupied here.
|Placed By||Civil War Preservation Trust|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 6:20am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 273652 N 4114770|
|Decimal Degrees||37.15195000, -77.54876667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 9.117', W 77° 32.926'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 9' 7.02" N, 77° 32' 55.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 20600-20734 State Rte 613, Sutherland VA 23885, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.