Here is 1825 the Franciscan Fathers of San Francisco Solano Mission planted the first vineyard in Sonoma Valley. The grapes were used for making sacramental wines. After secularization of the Mission in 1835, General Mariano G. Vallejo, Commander of Alta California's Northern Frontier, produced prize-winning wines from these grapes. Samuele Sebastiani and his wife, Elvira, purchased this property in the early 1900's. A young immigrant from Italy, he had come here to make his fortune. Since that time he and his family have successfully continued with distingtion the traditions handed down to them through the years. Much of the original Mission vineyard is still planted to choice wine grapes.CALIFORNIA REGISTERED HISTORICAL LANDMARK No.739Plaque Placed by the California State Parks Commission in CooperationWith the Sonoma Valley Historical Society, September 24, 1960.