General Robert E. Lee and his staff planned one of America's greatest battles at this site. Almost a century later the site began offering overnight accommodations to travelers coming to pay homage to their heroes.
Gutted by fire in 1896, the rebuilt house (owned by Clyde F. Daley) was converted to a souvenir shop and museum. Next door to "Lee's Headquarters," the home (owned by Eric and Sarah Larson) was converted to a tourist home. With the increased visitation to Gettysburg, especially for the 75th Anniversary and Reunion in 1938, Daley and the Larsons constructed cottages, two of many tourist camps that sprang up along the Lincoln Highway. Lee's Headquarters camp offered seven cabins. Each had a bath, shower, steam heat, and beds with innerspring mattresses for $1 to $4 a night.
In 1945, the Larsons purchased Lee's Headquarters property from Daley and over the years made numerous improvements. The resulting motel eventually became affiliated with the Quality Inn motel/hotel chain.