Appomattox Court House Nat'l Hist ParkAs Lee's Confederate Army retreated west, Federal forces blocked their way. Near this spot, Union artillery pieces commanded by Lieutenant James H. Lord and a cavalry brigade led by Brevet Brigadier General Charles Smith proved a strategic delay to the Confederate retreat - allowing time for other Federal units to move into position and ensure General Robert E. Lee's surrender on April 9, 1865.
|Placed By||Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, National Park Service, Dept. of the Interior|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 7:43pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 694498 N 4138843|
|Decimal Degrees||37.37595000, -78.80331667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 22.557', W 78° 48.199'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 22' 33.42" N, 78° 48' 11.94" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2630 Old Courthouse Rd, Appomattox VA 24522, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.