The stone portion built circa 1879 by Bernardo Bisso, called Stangetti, who ran a store until its sale to Sebastian Solari , circa 1881-83, who added the wooden portion and also operated a store. The stone section has walls more than 20 inches thick and 6 inches of clay between the ceiling and roof to protect the building from fire. In 1907 it was sold to the late John Cademartori, who ran the store until 1947, at which time his son Andrew succeeded him until its closure in 1966. At age 91, Mrs. Maggie Mercer, the wife of Walter J. Mercer, who discovered Mercer Caverns, remembers seeing the body of an Indian "Old Putney" packed away on a horse after being shot here by Bill Mullinix following previous "trouble". The building is currently owned by the Union Public Utility District.
Dedicated March 8, 2003, by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
Robert M. Rogers, Grand President
Native Daughters of the Golden West
Margaret F. Mallette, Grand President
Comments 0 comments