1878 - 1972George Washington Call (1829-1907) and his Chilean wife, Mercedes Leiva (1850-1933), bought 2,500 acres including Fort Ross in 1873. While maintaining a house in San Francisco, the family developed a dairy ranch and expanded the transport of local goods by sea. The Calls built this residence in 1878, as a headquarters for the ranch and shipping operations, and a home for their family, which eventually included nine children. They soon made Fort Ross a thriving community center and shipping port for neighboring farms, ranches, and lumber mills.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 8:57am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 478568 N 4262894|
|Decimal Degrees||38.51416667, -123.24583333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 30.85', W 123° 14.75'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 30' 51.00" N, 123° 14' 45.00" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 20155-20421 Fort Ross, Jenner CA 95450, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.