Village of Rock HillMain Street was laid out on Alexander Templeton Black's land by Squire John Roddey in 1851. The post office was established in 1852. The village was incorporated by the General Assembly in 1870 with an area of one mile square; its center was Gordon's Hotel, which stood just west of here. John R. Allen was first intendant and wardens were J.M. Ivy, Dr. Thos. L. Johnston, John Ratterree, and M.W. Russell.
City of Rock HillRock Hill was incorporated as a city by act of the General Assembly, on December 24, 1892, with an area of two miles square; Center of this square was a point in the middle of Main Street, opposite the Methodist Church. This marker stands near that point. The first mayor was Dr. John William Fewell and first aldermen were E.R.Avery, W.N.Irby, W.S.Morgan, E.E.Poag, J.J.Waters, W.H. Wylie.