Town of Dillon.Dillon was laid out by civil engineers of the Florence Railroad Company following a plan by John H. David, a local physician. The town was incorporated by the General Assembly on December 22, 1888, and its boundaries extended in a half-mile radius from the railroad depot. The first mayor and postmaster of the town was Duncan McLaurin. In 1893, a freight station was constructed, and in 1904, the present passenger depot was built.
Florence Railroad Company. In 1882, the Florence Railroad Company was chartered and authorized to build and operate a line east of Florence northward to the state border. Right-of-way problems here were solved when J. W. Dillon and his son Thomas offered half-interest in 63 acres if the railroad would use the land, build a depot, and lay out a town. The offer was accepted, and the railroad from Pee Dee to the state line was opened in 1888.