On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during th Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon the parade ground of old Fort Cumberland, where the Allegany County Courthouse now stands. The President appeared dressed in his full military uniform, and the entire population of the town was present to witness this historic event. General Washington rode along the line, from right to left, and was loudly cheered by the men. Afterwards the command marched in review, and Washington raised his hat as a salute, while they passed. Generals Henry Lee and Daniel Morgan also were present and participated.
With a new Prime Minister in England, Wm. Pitt, a new effort was launched to conquer Fort Duquesne. General John Forbes was assigned as Commander. Virginia militia was mustered here at Fort Cumberland and commanded by Colonel Washington. His troops joined Forbes at Raystown, (Bedford, Pa), then marched to defeat the French at Ft. Duquesne, which was renamed Ft. Pitt.
At the age of sixteen, George Washington first visited Allegany County, (then Frederick County), and was a guest of Col. Thomas Cresap, at Oldtown. He had been employed by Col. Wm. Fairfax to survey the valleys of Patterson Creek and the South Branch of the Potomac, part of the vast tract of land of Lord Fairfax was proprietor.