This highway, created by an act of Congress in 1810, entered the state at Augusta passing through Warrenton, Sparta, Milledgeville, Macon and Knoxville to Coweta Town (Columbus). It was formerly known as the Stage Coach Road. A telegraph line, the first that connected New Orleans with Washington, D.C., was erected in 1848. The wires paralleled this road between Columbus and Macon, giving to this section of the old highway the name of "The Federal Wire Road." This telegraph line was also the first one to be erected in the State of Georgia.