— Circa 1863 —In 1870, Southern Pacific Railroad assumed ownership of the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad, which had originally been opened as an independent railroad in 1863. The second stop south of San Francisco, in what then was the center of the larger Northern San Mateo County area historically known as Colma was called the Schoolhouse Stop. The name for the station came from the nearby oneroom schoolhouse on San Pedro Road, the most recognizable landmark in the rural landscape at the time. Schoolhouse Stop was one of the twenty-one stops built between San Francisco and San Jose. In 1863-65, Southern Pacific constructed the passenger depot adjacent to the Schoolhouse Stop. The passenger depot was necessary to shelter passengers. The station was where the farmers and teamsters stopped enroute to San Francisco.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 13th, 2014 at 11:40am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 547955 N 4170692|
|Decimal Degrees||37.68218333, -122.45613333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 40.931', W 122° 27.368'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 40' 55.86" N, 122° 27' 22.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||415, 650, 510|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1506 Hillside Blvd, Colma CA 94014, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.